About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Grilled Romaine with Blue Cheese-Bacon Vinaigrette (Easy)

Beautiful lettuce halves!

Who knew you could grill romaine lettuce! Right! I sure didn't! I have to say grilling is such a flavor changer/enhancer. This side was so easy to prepare. I served this on the side with a Bloody Mary Flank Steak, also grilled, they compliment one another quite nicely. One half of a romaine head of lettuce is enough veggie on the side with your meat for this meal, I was full. I had never had blue cheese before and now I love it! I used a reduced fat blue cheese with this recipe. Here is the link to my preparation of the Bloody Mary Flank Steak: http://tastytalkwithamy.blogspot.com/2011/08/bloody-mary-flank-steak-easy.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/grilled-romaine-with-blue-cheese-bacon-vinaigrette-recipe/index.html

Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 3 heads romaine lettuce, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
  • 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat the grill to high heat.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a saute pan over high heat. (I did not fry my bacon and onions in olive oil, instead I first fried my bacon strips whole, removed them from the pan and let them drain on a paper towel, left about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the fry pan, sauteed my red onions in that bacon grease, while onions are sauteing I crumbled up my bacon and then added it back to the frying pan with the sauteed onions, then added the balsamic vinegar)  Add the onions and bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy. To the same pan add the balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside. (Again I never used any olive oil with the bacon/onion mixture in frying pan, not necessary)
Brush the romaine lettuce with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, place on the grill cut side down, and quickly sear.(Actually I started to brush my romaine lettuce with olive oil but then I remembered I have olive oil spray so I sprayed my romaine lettuce instead)
Serve the lettuce, cut side up, and drizzle the balsamic dressing over the lettuce. Sprinkle with blue cheese and garnish with cracked black pepper.

Sauteed red onion, crumbled bacon, and balsamic vinegar ready to go on top of the grilled romaine halves.

I started out brushing the romaine lettuce with olive oil then remembered I had olive oil spray, much easier.
Olive oil spray but they also make spray bottles for you to put your olive oil in and spray as well.
Grilled romaine lettuce halves
Close up on grilled romaine head
Grilled romaine with Blue Cheese-Bacon Vinaigrette
Bloody Mary Flank Steak with Grilled Romaine with Blue Cheese-Bacon Vinaigrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment