About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups (Easy)

A low-fat, very delicious, and super easy to prepare dinner! I love the individualized portions as well. One entire lasagna roll-up along with a slice of garlic bread and a fresh salad on the side completes a meal for me. What I love about this meal is it is not an entire casserole of lasagna that can be messy to slice into and serve. One scoop up with a spatula for one entire roll-up and it neatly can be transferred quickly to your plate. I love it the next day as leftovers. It reheats wonderfully! It can be taken easily in a storage container to work as well for the next day for lunch. Oh you will be the envy of your co-workers when you bring this neat and tidy meal to reheat! They will wonder "where's their portion?"

Serves 4, if you eat 2 roll-ups each, with one leftover.

Ingredients:

  • 9 lasagna noodles, cooked al dente
  • 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained
  • 15 oz fat free ricotta cheese 
  • 1/2 cup grated/shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1 lb lean turkey sausage, casings removed, cooked and crumbled in skillet
  • 1 egg
  • salt and fresh pepper
  • 32 oz tomato sauce
  • 9 tbsp (about 3 oz) part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°.  
  2. Combine spinach, cooked and crumbled turkey sausage, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. 
  3. Ladle about 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. 
  4. Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry. 
  5. Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles. 
  6. Ladle sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese.
  7. Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts. Makes 9 rolls.

Everything you need to make a great tasting roll-up!
Take a knife and carefully slice down one side of the sausage to split open the casing.
The casing easily pulls away. Discard casing.
Casings removed, time to cook up and crumble.
Fully cooked sausage crumbles. I do this while the lasagna noodles are boiling. Set aside and prepare the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
Ricotta cheese, spinach mixture awaiting the cooked sausage crumbles.
Mixture is ready to be spread on cooked lasagna noodles.
Cooked al dente lasagna noodles, dried off and laying on a sheet of wax paper. The wax paper prevents them from sticking to the counter top.
Spinach, ricotta, sausage mixture laid out on top of each noodle. Next you will roll up from one side and place seam side down in baking dish.
Next line your baking dish with some tomato sauce.
Place your lasagna roll-ups seam side down on top of the sauce. The sauce prevents sticking and adds moisture.
9 roll-ups fit perfectly in a 9 x 13 baking dish!
Pour a little tomato sauce over the tops of each roll-up.
Sprinkle a tbsp amount of shredded mozzarella cheese over each one or if you like you can use a slice of mozzarella cheese over each roll-up. I have baked it both ways. Make sure you cover will foil before baking so you don't dry out the noodles.
Done baking! Perfectly portioned lasagna servings!
Such a beautiful single serve portion! YUM!
My plate! Dinner is served!

4 comments:

  1. Yummy! Looking very forward to trying this dish. Thank you Amy for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! You will enjoy this meal. I love making it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I just made this today. It's in the oven as I'm typing. This is what I did to make it: I boiled the turkey sausage instead of frying in a skillet. Then I peeled the skin off the sausage and put the sausage in my food processor on pulse. Came out perfectly crumbled! Then I mixed everything together in a large bowl and laid out all the lasagna noodles on my clean counter (I made an entire box ~ 18 rolls for my large family of 6) and roughly measured out 1/2 cup of the mixture on every roll BEFORE rolling them to ensure that all the noodles had enough. THEN, I rolled the noodles. I used 8 oz. of mozzarella and that is adequate. I look forward to tasting it tonight! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea on boiling the sausage first then pulsing it in the food processor!

    ReplyDelete