About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Giant Chicken Tost-achos (Easy)

This is a meal in itself, I can eat 2 of these and I am full, makes a great leftover for lunch the next day.


This recipe is from Rachael Ray's Yum-O! cookbook which I own. I could not find the link that would link you directly to this recipe but the credit is all hers. I really do love making recipes by Rachael Ray, she has such great ideas and the tastes are so different from the same ol' same ol' everyday meal ideas. I made this meal for dinner tonight, very easy to make. What I like about this meal is you can make it ahead of time or even the day before.

I boiled about 3-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts and allowed them to cool then shredded them by hand early in the day and added 1 cup of salsa to the meat and mixed it in. I put it in the fridge for later on in the day for dinner. When dinner time rolled around all I had to do was get out the flour tortillas, the already sliced green olives(sold in stores already sliced in a jar), shredded lettuce, diced up green onions, and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. I use my toaster oven to toast and crisp them up. You can use the oven and bake these as well to melt the cheese and have many done all at once, just remember to warm the already prepared chicken in the microwave before placing on each tortilla, the tost-achos will warm all the way through much faster in the oven. Remember the oven is for melting the cheese and crisping up the tortilla.



Giant Chicken Tost-achos


SUBMITTED BY:
Rachael Ray
A tostada is like a mega size nacho: a tortilla topped with beans or meat and cheese and veggies. Try this simple, fun Mexican-American meal with your family and friends. Each Taco Nacho is made on a crispy baked flour tortilla rather than corn chips. It’s topped with chicken and taco sauce, cheese and salad – Yum-OlĂ©!

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS:

  • 4 6-inch flour tortillas
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), some to brush tortillas, plus 1 tablespoon(I did not feel the need to brush the tortillas with EVOO, you can if you like)
  • 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken meat (approximately one package of boneless skinless chicken breasts works wonderfully and all I did was boil them whole and shred them by hand)
  • 1 cup mild taco sauce or salsa
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
  • 1 small heart of romaine lettuce, shredded (I used a bag of already shredded iceberg lettuce)
  • 2 scallions, snipped with kitchen scissors or chopped (just in case you are wondering, a scallion is a green onion)
  • 4 rounded spoonfuls sliced green olives with pimento (they are sold in most grocery stores already sliced)

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. (or you can use your toaster oven if you have one if you don't want to heat up the house with your oven being on, especially in the summer, just makes it even hotter in the house)
  2. Lightly brush a little EVOO onto the tortillas and place them on a baking sheet. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and crisp up the tortillas, 5 minutes.(I skipped this step, but you can do it if you want to)
  3. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken and taco sauce for 5 minutes .(b/c I boiled my chicken this step was not necessary)
  4. Top each tortilla with 1/2 cup of the saucy chicken and lots of cheese. Have a grown-up helper (GH) place the hot baking sheet back in the oven and bake 3-4 minutes more to melt the cheese.
  5. Place each Giant Chicken Taco Nacho on a dinner plate and top with lettuce, scallions and olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment