About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Steak & Spinach Pinwheels w/Mock Hollandaise Sauce (Moderate ease)



I haven't made this meal in quite a while, forgot about it actually until I started thumbing through my old menus from previous years. It is a very well-liked meal for my family. I put moderate for how easy it is to prepare because of all the steps and rolling up the sirloin and toothpicking it closed, it can be a bit challenging when the meat is thin and has holes in it due to fat. I used a thin sliced top sirloin and I highly recommend it, using a thicker cut just takes longer to cook in the broiler and also can dry the meat out. 

I also give credit to The Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook 90's edition.

Ingredients:

  • 1 package bacon (I like to use the center cut bacon)
  • 1 1/2 lbs thinly sliced top sirloin or beef top round steak (remember I stated I like to use the thin sliced top sirloin, the recipe does not call for it, I suggested that and do that, much better results)
  • 1 - 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
  • 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese (the kind in the shaker bottle that you use for spaghetti works wonderfully)
  • Black pepper to sprinkle on each steak before rolling up
  • Mock Hollandaise Sauce(see recipe down below) (optional)


Mock Hollandaise Sauce:
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp prepared mustard
In a small saucepan combine ingredients and cook over low heat until hot, you can serve this with vegetables, poultry, fish, or eggs. Makes 1/2 cup = 8 one tablespoon servings.

Directions:

In a frying pan, cook bacon till just done but not crisp. Drain on paper towels. Score steak, that is if you use a thick cut steak so it can be pounded thin. The way you score the steak is you cut across it making shallow cuts at 1-inch intervals diagonals making a diamond pattern, you then come across in the opposite direction kind of like tic-tac-toe on an angle. Repeat on the other side of the meat but be careful not to cut all the way through the meat or you will tear it and the ingredients will leak out. With a meat mallet, pound steak into a rectangle, working from center to edges. Sprinkle with pepper. Arrange bacon lengthwise on steak. Spread spinach over bacon, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Roll up from the short side and secure with wooden toothpicks so that nothing leaks out.

Place on broiler pan and cook until done, I would say about 10-15 minutes is necessary to broil it, everyone's cooking technique is different so just watch and turn the meat throughout the entire broiling process.

After reading how to prepare a thicker cut of meat you can see why I chose the thinner cut, it cooked much faster and did not dry out, in the past I have dried out the thicker cuts and been disappointed in the end results, my family still ate it but it was tougher to chew.  Remove toothpicks before serving. Serve with mock hollandaise sauce if you like. I did and it is a good taste to the meal. This meal serves 4.

not too crisp bacon but cooked just enough
Thinly sliced top sirloin steak, layered with bacon, spinach, Parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of black pepper
All stuffed and rolled up ready for the broiler
Done broiling and toothpicks removed
Dinner is served! Steak pinwheels, Mock Hollandaise Sauce, Parmesan couscous, and green beans with slivered almonds

No comments:

Post a Comment