About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Apple Jack Quesadilla (Easy)


I can't 100% recall for sure but I do believe I saw Rachael Ray make these on her show and as a result I had to buy the cookbook these wonderfully, spicy, sticky, and sweet quesadillas came from. It is from her Yum-O family cookbook , pg 71. My family loves these! Once you try one, you will want more and you will want to eat until you are full! I made these as a snack for the family after swimming but they can be eaten as a lunch too but a lunch you need to be at home to prepare, not something you can make ahead of time and take with you. You need to eat them warm, dripping with pepper jelly, oozing with pepper jack cheese, and a bit crunchy from the frying process on the outside tortilla and some of the cheese that leaked out and got fried as well. Oh the combination of tastes in your mouth is just so Yum-O!


http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/apple-jack-quesadillas/

 

INGREDIENTS:

  • 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 4 10-12-inch whole wheat flour tortillas (I do recommend sticking to using wheat tortillas, they just taste like they should be the tortilla of choice for this recipe, a flour one will not do it justice)
  • 4 tablespoons pepper jelly (I do not worry about using one exact tbsp of pepper jelly, I just spread it on the tortilla in a nice thin but generous layer)
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese (4 generous handfuls) (I used a chunk of pepper jack cheese and instead of shredding it which I find is messy, I sliced it thinly and laid the slices on one half of the tortilla, see picture below)
  • 1 McIntosh apple, quartered, core cut away and thinly sliced (any apple will do, I used Granny Smith this time)

DIRECTIONS:

Pre-heat the oven to 250ºF. (I don't do this part, there is no time in my house to keep them warm, they are gobbled up as soon as they leave the frying pan)Pre-heat a teaspoon of EVOO in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spread one tablespoon of pepper jelly on a tortilla and add tortilla to the pan. Cover half the tortilla with about 1/2 cup cheese and top with a quarter of the apple slices. Fold the naked half of the tortilla over and cook a couple of minutes on each side until brown and crispy and cheese melts. Transfer quesadilla to oven to keep warm, then repeat with remaining ingredients.Cut each quesadilla into four wedges and serve.(I cut mine into 2 wedges, 4 seems a bit too small)

My pepper jelly of choice, you can use any brand you can find and it will taste just as good.

Spread your pepper jelly first all over the wheat tortilla.

Next I laid out some sliced thinly pepper jack cheese, much neater than shredded.

Sliced apples go over the cheese.

Fold the empty side or as Rachael calls it the naked side over the ingredients.

Place in heated frying pan with some olive oil and fry until crisp and cheese is melted.

There you have it, one serving size.

Rachael's Yum-O! Cookbook

1 comment:

  1. I have a recipe for this but not from Ray's book. I've made these and they are delicious. I made it for dinner.

    ReplyDelete