About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Garlic Basil Shrimp (Easy)

Garlic basil shrimp served over orzo(pasta).

I saw this recipe being prepared on The Today Show possibly a year ago. Ellie Krieger made it look so easy and my family and I love shrimp and it looked so tasty and I was curious about Orzo. I had never made it before and I bought some for this recipe and just thought it was such a cool shaped pasta, looks like rice and
swells up to be large like barley when in fact the word Orzo means barley in Italian.



http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/garlic-basil-shrimp-recipe/index.html


Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/4 pounds large shrimp (20 to 25 per pound), peeled and deveined (I double this recipe for my family, I use 3 lbs of medium shrimp, even though doubled is really 2 1/2 lbs according to this recipe)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes, or more to taste
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine (I used a white cooking wine, picture below)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves (You can also use dried basil if you can't get any fresh and it tastes just fine and I did not use 1/4 doubled of dried basil for this recipe, more like 2 tbsp.)
  • 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 lb Orzo pasta, cook as directed on box

Directions

Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute shrimp, turning over once, until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.

Add garlic and red pepper flakes to the oil remaining in skillet and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add wine and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in basil and tomatoes and season the sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Return the shrimp to pan and cook just until heated through. Serve over cooked orzo pasta.

Orzo pasta
Looks like rice.
Shrimp already sauteed in olive oil set aside to add back in later to sauce.
I use minced garlic instead of peeling a clove and mincing it up.
The white cooking wine I use.
Halved grape tomatoes ready to go in cooking wine with basil, red pepper flakes, and garlic.
The tomatoes warming up in the sauce awaiting the already cooked shrimp to be added in and reheated.
Garlic basil shrimp ready to be served over cooked orzo.

No comments:

Post a Comment