About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Turkey Black Bean Burgers with Corny Salsa (Easy)

By far the best turkey burger I have ever tasted!

Turkey burgers are usually dry and flavorless and not very appealing to the palate, not this one!  No way!  They smell wonderful while grilling and taste awesome when you bite into one for the first time. I love the crunchiness of the tortilla chips as well in this burger!  I hope I don't get sick of these because I plan on making them many, many more times in the near future!  I thought I loved the green chili cheeseburger that I just made not too many days ago but now I am conflicted, is this the best burger I have ever tasted or is the green chile cheeseburger it?  I figured out how to make both number one in my book, my most favorite turkey burger is this one and my most favorite beef one is the green chile cheeseburger, problem solved! 
Whew! 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/turkey-black-bean-burgers-with-corny-salsa-recipe/index.html

Servings:4-8

Ingredients

Corny Salsa:

  • 4 large ripe tomatoes, diced
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, de-veined, and chopped (I used two jalapenos)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (I used one entire half of a bunch of cilantro, not 3 tbsp)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1/2 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained, and lightly mashed
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed

Burgers:

  • 1/4 cup olive oil (I did not need this, I grilled my turkey burgers)
  • 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey (I used 2 lbs of ground turkey and it made 8 burgers)
  • 1/2 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained, and lightly mashed
  • 1 cup crushed tortilla chips (I had a bag of Tostitos Jalapeno tortilla chips and used them instead, yum!)
  • If grilling instead of frying, add 1 egg and 1/2 bread crumbs to hold the burgers together
  • 2 teaspoons The Lady and Sons House Seasoning, recipe follows
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 avocado, halved, peeled, pitted, and firmly diced, for serving
  • Sour cream, for serving

Directions

For the salsa: In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir them together. Cover the container and chill the salsa until ready to use. (Make this first so it can be chilling in the fridge)
For the burgers: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (not necessary if you are grilling)
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, beans, tortilla chips, House Seasoning, chili powder, and cumin. Use your hands to form the mixture into 8 equal sized patties, working in batches if necessary. Cook the patties until no longer pink in the middle, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the patties to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. (Again not necessary if you grill your burgers, less fat that way)
To serve: Spoon the Corny Salsa mixture over the burgers. Top with avocado slices and sour cream.

The Lady and Sons House Seasoning:

  • 1 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup pepper
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup onion powder
Combine all the ingredients. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 6 months.(If mine last that long, I will be making these many, many times, and probably doubling this recipe as well, meaning the turkey burger recipe, not the seasoning, you get plenty with this amount)

Corny salsa ingredients
The corny salsa
Just another view of that yummy salsa.
The tortilla chips I used in the turkey burgers instead of plain, you can still use plain. I just had these in my kitchen and they give a great crunch factor and flavor!
Use 2 lbs of ground turkey not the 1 1/4 lbs the recipe calls for or you will not get 8 burgers.
Grilled and ready to eat!
My burger served on 100% Whole Grain Wheat bun, I could easily eat 2 of these and be very content.

No comments:

Post a Comment