About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Green Chile Stew (Easy)

A great Fall time of the year dinner.  Hatch chile comes from Hatch, New Mexico, the Chile Capital of the World.  When I used to live in New Mexico, I shopped at this one Albuquerque Wal-Mart on Coors.  There was this one man who worked in the produce department; his name was Ed.  He is the one who told me about this green chile and he gave me the recipe to make this stew.  I no longer live in New Mexico and I used to be able to purchase the hot frozen Hatch chile from that Wal-Mart, now I live in Houston; it is not carried here, at least not that I have seen anywhere.  I have to settle for another brand, at least it is Hatch.  I prefer the hot and the frozen kind for this recipe, this one is mild but it will do. This recipe is a slow cooker recipe,  takes approximately 6 hours in the crock pot on low, serve with warmed flour tortillas on the side for dipping in your stew.



Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs pork tenderloin cut up in bite-size pieces
  • 2 tbsp. oil
  • 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1-2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1-2 tsp. salt or to taste and wait until the end because potatoes absorb salt
  • 1-13 oz. frozen green chile, thawed or 1-27 oz can Hatch chile, drained and cut up bite-size
  • 2 to 2 ½ cups chicken broth, use your own judgment, just enough to not cover the contents of the crock pot

Directions:

  1. Heat oil in frying pan and fry pork until browned. 
  2. Add onion and diced potatoes next and brown slightly, about 5 minutes. 
  3. Transfer browned ingredients to crock pot including garlic, green chile and chicken broth and cook on low for approximately 6 hours. 
  4. Add salt at end according to taste. 
  5. Serve with warmed flour tortillas on the side for dipping into stew. 
This stew also freezes well for leftovers at a later date.

I used the entire pork tenderloin.
I purchased these on the aisle at Wal-Mart where all the Spanish foods are sold.
The start of the browning process of the pork tenderloin, diced potatoes, and chopped onions.
The entire contents of the Hatch green chile emptied out before being cut up in small pieces.
The pork, potatoes, onions, garlic, and diced green chiles added to the slow cooker before adding chicken broth and stirring.
This pot took 2 1/2 cups of water and you see how it does not come over the top of the contents? Just enough to almost cover the contents. Too much chicken broth will weaken the flavor in the end.
After the 6 hours of cooking on low.
Served with warmed flour tortilla on the side to dip in your bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment