About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole (Easy)

I made this sweet potato casserole for the first time this Thanksgiving and it was very well received.  My family and I were invited over to a friend's house for Thanksgiving and I offered to bring a sweet potato casserole.  I doubled this recipe and baked it in a 15x9 inch Pyrex glass baking dish.  It was huge!  In two days time it was completely devoured including the other guests kept some as well for their families to go with the turkey leftovers.  I did share the leftovers the day after Thanksgiving but the day, day after that, it was in hiding!  LOL!  The original recipe did not call for adding nutmeg or cinnamon to the casserole and I added that as noted below.  I also cut the amount of white sugar in half,  added a bit more vanilla and some dashes of cinnamon to the crumb topping. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-potato-casserole-ii-3/detail.aspx

Ingredients:

  • 4 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (approximately 5-6 medium sweet potatoes)
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup white sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used 1 tsp)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg

Crumb topping:
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • couple dashes of cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with some cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup melted butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and eggs.  (I mixed mine with an electric mixer to make them creamy and blend all the ingredients together.)  Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, and couple dashes of cinnamon.  Cut in the 1/3 cup of softened butter until the mixture is crumbly.  (I used an electric hand mixer to blend the butter with the flour, sugar, and cinnamon)  Once the mixture is crumbly, stir in the chopped pecans. 
  4. Sprinkle pecan mixture over the sweet potatoes.
  5. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

This is a huge bowl because I doubled this recipe and I mixed it with an electric hand mixer to cream it up.
The crumb topping, again I doubled mine for a larger group of people.
Ready to be baked in the oven  This more than served 16 people with leftovers!
Golden baked and ready to dig in! So good! So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment