About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Crab Stuffed Flounder (Easy)

I was looking online for a healthier way to prepare fresh flounder instead of frying it and I came across this recipe.  It is baked in the oven instead.  I would say this is a very bland recipe and the next time I do prepare it I am adding Tony Chachere's seasoning to the crab mixture on top just to make it pop in your mouth with flavor. I followed this recipe exactly how it was written, again it was safe and bland, I can't handle safe and bland, I need more flavor so if you like more flavor too then I suggest adding either more salt or instead adding some Cajun seasoning to it.  My daughter went gigging http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigging in Galveston Bay with a family from our church not too long ago and she was the only one that night to catch a flounder.  She brought home that flounder and the family that took her with them gave her a Ziploc full of previously caught flounder from their own freezer on top of cleaning the one she did catch; that was so nice of them.  This is the flounder I used. I served wild rice and green beans tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar on the side, complimented the meal quite nicely I might add.  

Serves 6

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crab-stuffed-flounder/detail.aspx

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds flounder fillets
  • 1 cup crabmeat - drained, flaked and cartilage removed (real crab meat not the imitation stuff)
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground dry mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • ground white pepper, to taste
  • 3 crushed saltine crackers
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Rinse the fillets and pat dry with paper towels. 
  2. Combine crab meat, green pepper, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, white pepper and the crushed saltines. Combine the egg white and 1 tablespoon mayonnaise. Stir this into the crab meat mixture. 
  3. Brush the flounder fillets with melted butter. Place in a lightly greased, shallow baking dish. Spoon the crab mixture over the fillets and drizzle with any remaining butter. 
  4. Bake the fillets at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. 
  5. While the fish is baking, lightly beat the egg yolk in a small bowl. Stir in 5 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Remove fish from oven and spread this mixture over the stuffing; sprinkle with paprika and parsley. 
  6. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees and bake until golden and bubbly, about 6 minutes. 
My paper towel dried pieces of flounder.
Real crab meat! So good! Try not to eat too much before cooking with it. 
The flounder brushed on both sides with melted butter.
The crab meat mixture topping.
Flounder topped with crab meat mixture before baking for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F.
After the initial 15 minutes of baking.
The last of the topping that is added which is the egg yolk mixed with mayo and then sprinkled with parsley and paprika. At this point you up the oven temp to 450 to make it bubbly hot!
Completely finished baking! Look how yummy that is!
My dinner plate, I served wild rice and olive oil/balsamic vinegar tossed green beans with my fish.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment