About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chicken, Blue Cheese, and Onion Marmalade Pizza (Easy)

I have to admit with this pizza I do not know if I am eating dinner or dessert. Wow! When I took that bite for the first time it was wonderful! I love the onion marmalade sauce, the original recipe says to prepare it 2-3 hours ahead of time but I did not have that time the day I made it for the first time so as soon as I made it  I spread it over my pizza crust and just went on with the rest of the preparation as if I did. This onion marmalade sauce is sweet, that's why it is called a marmalade. Whoa is all I can say! Love it! Love, love, love it! There is meat on this pizza, shredded chicken. I boiled 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and shredded them by hand. Do not skimp on the 5 onions, make sure you do get 5 medium-sized onions because the onions really do make this pizza! I love the caramelized taste of the onions and when the sauce cooks over the edges of the pizza into the pizza pan, believe me, I am scraping those parts and gobbling them up, not wanting to share any of that part with anyone. The blue cheese adds a nice touch as well, gives a bit more of a salty stronger taste to the pizza but is not overpowering in the least. Do not omit it. Be generous with your shredded mozzarella, you will not regret it. I did not follow this recipe to the T from the site I got it from, I will post and give the credit to the creator of this recipe, it really is delish! This pizza prepared my way serves 4 nicely as a meal, no sides needed with possible slices leftover.

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/main-courses/chicken-blue-cheese-and-onion-marmalade-pizza/

Ingredients:
For the onion marmalade:
2 tbsp olive oil
5 whole medium yellow onions, sliced thinly
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

For the pizza:
Cornmeal for dusting your pizza stone or pan
1 whole batch pizza dough (I really do like using the store brand pizza dough sold in the refrigerated section, picture below)
2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 cups shredded chicken (I boiled 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and shredded them when cool to touch)
6 oz crumbled blue cheese

Directions:
At least 2-3 hours before you will make your pizza, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions in olive oil until they begin to soften. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and continue cooking until the onions just begin to brown. Also in a separate pot of water start the boiling of your 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts so they will already be cooked, cooled and shredded by the time you actually put the entire pizza together, kind of like killing two birds with one stone. :)

Now getting back to the onions: Sprinkle sugar over onions and toss to combine. Sugar will begin to melt and bubble. Continue cooking until the sugar is a light caramel color. Clear a spot in the center of the pan and pour in vinegar. Stir to combine. Continue cooking until vinegar thickens, about 5 minutes.

Remove onions from heat, season with black pepper and more salt, if needed, to taste. Allow onion marmalade to cool completely, so it becomes thick enough to make the “sauce” for your pizza. (Now this part I did not do because I did not have the time to do it that way, it was my first time making it and I had a busy day so I had to skip this step but if the pizza tasted awesome to me without this step, imagine how much more awesome it will taste if you do do it as written)

About 1 hour before you would like to eat, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray some nonstick cooking spray on your pizza stone or jellyroll pan(I used a jellyroll stone pan), sprinkle some cornmeal on the pan, then roll out your store bought refrigerated pizza dough to the edges. Partially bake in 400 degrees heated oven for 8 minutes. When done baking, spread your onion marmalade sauce all over the pizza dough, top with shredded mozzarella cheese, then shredded chicken, then the crumbled blue cheese. Put the pizza back in the oven and bake for approximately 25 minutes until fully warmed and marmalade sauce is bubbly. Allow the pizza to cool 2-3 minutes before slicing and eat immediately. 

The refrigerated pizza dough I choose to use.
My partially baked pizza dough baked at 400 degrees for 8 minutes.
5 medium yellow onions thinly sliced and they were overflowing in my frying pan!
Onions starting to cook down and brown, next step will be add the sugar.
I cleared the spot in the center of the onions for the balsamic vinegar to be added, the sugar is bubbling here too.
Adding the Balsamic vinegar.
Caramelized onions with sugar, salt, and balsamic vinegar.
3 shredded chicken breasts.
Onion marmalade sauce layer.
Ready to go in the oven.
Fully baked!
Look at that yummy slice! I could not eat just one!
Just a closer picture of the same slice, look at how that onion marmalade just oozes over the edge!

No comments:

Post a Comment