About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Spicy Garlic Shrimp w/Coconut Rice (Easy)

Such a simple recipe to prepare! Very tasty too! You can control the heat(spice) you add. I did not follow this recipe from the site I got it from, some things I just don't think were really necessary to do. I modified this entire recipe. I do not believe you need to marinate the shrimp and I definitely do not think you should buy jumbo shrimp with tails on. If you have no choice but to buy them that way, I suggest pulling the tails off before cooking them. Also I used 3 lbs of jumbo shrimp and I rinsed them and threw them in the frying pan with a little olive oil and sauteed them until they released all their liquid then drained that down the drain and then the real cooking of the recipe began. I am posting the link to the original recipe but I am blogging about how I did this recipe my way. This recipe done my way serves 4 people.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spicy_garlic_shrimp_with_coconut_rice/


Ingredients:
2 cups white rice (cook as directed on package or cook in a rice cooker, I use a rice cooker)
3 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled, tails removed
3 tbsp of minced garlic
1 tsp salt or to taste
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
1/4 cup lime juice
2 cans 13.5 oz coconut milk, one can will be for the rice and one for the shrimp sauce
1 tbsp red chili paste(picture down below)
1 bunch fresh cilantro (to be added to the rice)


Directions:
1. Cook the rice according to the package directions.
2. Rinse the shrimp, peel if you need to and remove tails, pour a little olive oil in a frying pan and fry the shrimp until they partially cook and they release all their water into the frying pan, drain that out down the drain, it is not needed for the dish.
3. Add a few drizzles of olive oil again because you probably poured it out with the shrimp water and you don't want the shrimp sticking to the frying pan. Next add the garlic, salt, and diced up jalapenos and cook that a bit until the jalapenos have softened. 
4. Add one can (13.5 oz) coconut milk, 1/4 cup lime juice and 1 tbsp of chili paste to the shrimp, continue to cook until shrimp are orange. Once fully warmed through, remove from heat.
5. As for the rice, once the rice is done cooking according to the directions on the bag or in your rice cooker, add half the can of coconut milk and the one bunch of chopped up fresh cilantro leaves and stir.
6. Serve shrimp with sauce over the coconut rice as pictured. Enjoy!

Sambal Oelek Chili Paste


No comments:

Post a Comment