About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sesame Chicken (Easy)

My family enjoyed this recipe the first time I prepared it and I will be making it many more times in the future!  It was very easy to prepare and I made some adjustments to the original recipe it came from so if you follow what I have typed up down below you will be pleased with the outcome.  I served this meal over white rice; if you like you can substitute brown rice instead.  I also served steamed carrots and green beans on the side to make it a complete meal.  This meal serves 4 quite nicely with leftovers.  I will warn you ahead of time, this recipe requires a rather 'exotic' spice that you may not find so easily in the grocery store, and I know Wal-Mart did not carry it.  I found it at HEB and it is also sold at Kroger in the International section;  it is called Chinese Five Spice, do not omit it, it really does complete the recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ambers-sesame-chicken/detail.aspx

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds, divided
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes(optional) (I did use them because my family likes spicy foods)
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
  • Olive oil for frying
  • 2 medium-sized yellow onions, cut into wedges
  • 2 green peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 6 tablespoons Teriyaki sauce
  • 6 tablespoons honey
  • 3 cups cooked white or brown rice

Directions:
  1. In a large gallon Ziploc, combine flour, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, black pepper, five spice powder, and red pepper flakes. Place a handful of chunked chicken at a time into the bag; shake to coat, remove to a platter.
  2. Heat some olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Place chicken into skillet, and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken, and set aside. Stir onion wedges and green bell pepper slices into skillet; cook until slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
  3. Add the Teriyaki sauce, honey, and remaining 1/4 cup sesame seeds to the empty skillet and warm, about 1 minute. Return the cooked chicken, onion, and bell pepper to the sauce and cook until sauce thickens, heat through, and serve over rice.

Seasoning ingredients for the chunked chicken.
raw cut-up chicken chunks
Chicken coated in seasoned flour mixture.
Browning the chicken.
Next browning the onions and green bell peppers.
Ingredients for the teriyaki sauce.
Warming the sauce ingredients for about 1 minute before adding the chicken, onions, and bell peppers.
Finished cooking! Doesn't that look yummy!
Served over rice.
Dinner is served! My plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment