About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Roasted Brussels Sprouts w/Bacon (Easy)

Okay I will have to admit I was not a fan of Brussels sprouts at all!  I thought they were gross and smelled horrible when cooking and would have no part of them.  Last Thanksgiving I tried brussel sprouts made by a friend and they were made almost like these and once I tried them I loved them!  I found this recipe online at http://www.copykat.com/2011/01/06/roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-bacon-recipe/   I made them and I can happily say these will be made many more times in the future.   Love, love, love them!  They really were easy to make but even easier to eat.  Beware you will have to control yourself when piling them on your plate because you can easily eat 2 servings worth with your meal.  I loved them so much that I ate the leftovers for breakfast the next morning!  Serves approximately 6-8.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts
  • 1/4 lb bacon, partially cooked then chopped up (reserve approximately 2-3 tbsp bacon grease for frying the red onion)
  • 1/2 cup red diced onion (I used one whole red onion)
  • 1/3 cup olive oil (I felt that was too much, more like 1/4 sufficed)
  • 1 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
  2. Pan fry bacon partially then cut up with cooking shears, bacon will finish cooking in oven.
  3. Reserve a bit of the bacon grease, about 2-3 tbsp worth and cook the red onion until softened. 
  4. Wash Brussels sprouts and slice in halves, remove any brown leaves. Place Brussels sprouts in a bowl with a secure lid so you can use it for shaking the sprouts with the other ingredients.
  5. Add the cut up, partially cooked bacon, cooked red onion along with any pan drippings left from the bacon that you did reserve for the frying of the onions, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cover with lid and shake until completely mixed.
  6. On a cookie sheet, spread out the Brussels sprouts mixture along with any pan drippings that are left in the bowl.
  7. Place in oven and roast for approximately 25 minutes.
Enjoy!

2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts.
Washed, sliced and in a bowl that I can secure with a lid for evenly coating the sprouts.
Lid secure and sprouts gently shaken to be evenly coated with all ingredients together.
Ready to be spread out on the cookie sheet.
Ready to go in the oven for roasting.
Done roasting! They are so tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment