About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Asparagus-Stuffed Chicken Rolls (Somewhat Easy)

Hot out of the oven
This dinner took a bit of preparation and it calls for Dijon mustard, I found that to be overpowering and when I make this meal again I will leave it out but if you like Dijon mustard then keep it, it's all about taste preferences, maybe even add a slice of slightly undercooked bacon to the breast before you roll it up and the reason I say slightly undercooked is so that the bacon will not crumble when you wrap it around the asparagus spears. Someone who reviewed this recipe also suggested pouring a can of cream of chicken soup around the breasts before cooking, I will try that as well the next time I make this dish. You will notice one of the chicken breasts in these pictures has a slice of orange cheese in it, that is a slice of lactose-free cheese because I have a child who is lactose intolerant. I served this meal with Parmesan & Romano Rice a Roni on the side and being that the asparagus stuffed in the chicken was the vegetable I felt there was no need for another veggie on the side.I also doubled this recipe to feed my family of 4.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Asparagus-Stuffed-Chicken-Rolls

Asparagus-Stuffed Chicken Rolls Recipe

Ingredients

  • 8 fresh asparagus spears
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 4 fresh sage leaves
  • 2 slices provolone cheese (1 ounce each)
  • 2 slices deli ham (3/4 ounce each)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth

Directions

  • In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
  • Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread mustard over one side of each chicken breast. Down the center of each, place two sage leaves, a cheese slice, ham slice and four asparagus spears. Fold chicken over asparagus; secure with toothpicks.
  • Place flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in the flour, egg, then bread crumb mixture.
  • In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in butter and oil. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over chicken. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 2 servings.
Asparagus being boiled in a 1/2 inch of water.
Immediately after being boiled, place in ice water.
Asparagus drying on a clean dish towel.
I took a large piece of plastic wrap, placed my chicken breast in there, folded half of the plastic wrap over it, then beat it with a rolling pin, I did this each time for each breast.
Flattened chicken breasts filled with all needed ingredients, all that is left is rolling them up and securing with toothpicks.

 Finally, the beginnings of frying in the frying pan to be browned.

 Browning!

Ready to go in the oven finally! Looking good!

Dinner is served!








3 comments:

  1. This one is definitely a keeper! My hubby said I "went over the top on this one." We were soooo full we felt like we had eaten Thanksgiving dinner!

    The hardest part for me was getting them rolled up. My chicken breasts were quite large. Three rolls made two nights of dinner, 1 lunch for hubby, and another dinner in the freezer.

    I used regular mustard and about 2/3 cup of wine. They came out very moist, even when reheated. I made a small salad the first night to keep my Diabetic hubby from eating too much of the rice (carbs). The second night I served it with sauteed yellow crookneck squash and mashed potatoes. Both ways were awesome!

    Thank you, Amy, from Sam and Patti Vandever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it Patti! Did you beat the chicken breasts thin with a rolling pin so they would be easier to roll up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I did. They were just huge and tried to fall apart when I pounded them. Strange!

    ReplyDelete