About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Southwestern Beef Tortillas (Easy)



Wow is all I can say to this recipe! I made this one for the first time tonight for my family for dinner and it was very well liked. I could barely eat two. I also served a side of fried diced potatoes, with onions and garlic seasoned with salt and black pepper. What a great meal! I will be making this meal many, many times more! Just a heads up you need to cook the chuck roast ahead of time in the crock pot so start early and that is the easy part, the more time consuming part comes at the end of the day when you have to shred the beef and make the sauce for it. It is not that difficult. Oh, it has a little kick so if you don't like spicy then you may not want to make this or maybe alter it to be not so spicy.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Southwestern-Beef-Tortillas


Ingredients

  • 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I boiled my 4 large tomatoes in a pot of water until the skin started cracking on them, removed them to a plate to cool so I could handle them when I peeled them and chopped them up)
  • 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno slices
  • 1 tablespoon juice from pickled jalapeno slices
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed

Directions

  • Place roast and water in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
  • Remove meat. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking liquid; set aside 1/2 cup.
  • In a large skillet, cook the tomatoes, green peppers, onion, garlic and bay leaf in oil for 18-22 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons.(this part did not require 18 minutes to cook down)
  • Stir in the ketchup, jalapeno slices and juice, vinegar, salt, garlic salt and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Stir in shredded beef; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Serve on tortillas. Yield: 8 servings.
Look how beautiful that shredded beef and those peppers look! Scrumptious! When you make it and try that first bite you are going to say WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment