About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Fruit Salsa

Fruit salsa served with some tortilla chips.
When I used to live back in New Mexico a friend of mine had given me a taste of her fruit salsa and it was so yummy! This is my version of what I can remember from that taste so long ago. The riper and sweeter the mangoes and strawberries, the better the salsa.

Ingredients:
2-3 ripened mangoes (should be red, slightly soft but firm to the touch, not mushy)
1-2 lbs fresh strawberries (the sweeter, the better)
2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and diced
1 medium-sized onion, diced
cilantro, the leaves from one bunch
lime juice
Tortilla chips


Directions:
You will need a large bowl to put all your ingredients in. Peel your mangoes like you would peel a potato with a potato peeler. Cut them up into small bite-sized pieces, be careful when you cut through the mango, it has a huge pit in the middle. Try to cut off as much of the fruit as possible from the pit. Cut up your strawberries the same way, small bite-sized pieces, remember you want this to be easy to scoop up on a chip, not huge pieces that are heavy and cause your chip to crack when you scoop. Dice up your onion, add to the fruit, along with the seeded and diced up jalapenos, and the fresh cilantro leaves. Drizzle enough lime juice, about 1/4 cup, you may want to taste it to see if you need to add more. Mix. I went one step further and I pulsed my fruit salsa in the food processor to create more of a juice from the fruits, do not pulse it too much, you do not want it to look like a smoothie. The pictures in this recipe are after I pulsed it in the food processor, you can still distinguish what fruit is what. Let the fruit salsa sit over night in the fridge so the juices can really meld together and give good flavor. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!



Fruit salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment