About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Garden Tomato Pizza (Easy)



What a refreshing summertime pizza! When I think of pizza, I always think of a red sauce on the dough first, not in this case with this pizza and that is okay. The crust comes out chewy. I find this pizza to be quite flavorful for just having tomatoes, arugula, basil, salt, pepper, and shredded Parmesan cheese, oh and a drizzle of olive oil. It does not take long to prepare at all either. One pizza as a meal is enough to serve two adults, so if you are feeding more than that I suggest making two pizzas and getting double of everything.

I got this recipe from this link and I changed it a bit from the actual recipe itself::
http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/main-courses/garden-tomato-pizza/

Ingredients:

Pizza Dough (I bought the 13.8 oz pizza crust dough in the can sold in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, picture down below) 
4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
10 ounces, weight Baby Arugula
1 pound Assortment Of Fresh Tomatoes, Sliced (approximately 3 medium-sized tomatoes) 
2 pinches Freshly Ground Pepper 
2 pinches Coarse Salt 
½ cups Fresh Basil Leaves (I did buy fresh basil but it went bad by the time I needed it and I did not want to run out to the store for fresh so I used dried basil and it tasted fine) 
¼ cups Parmesan Shavings (I don't know about you but when I eat a pizza I like to see cheese on my pizza. I bought a 6 oz bag of shredded Parmesan cheese and almost used the entire bag on one pizza, I said almost)


Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400F.

  1. Roll out your pizza dough onto a pizza pan and bake for 8 minutes, this is just a partial bake, you will bake it the rest of the way when you put it back in the oven to bake the ingredients on top. 
  2. While the pizza crust is baking, get a medium-sized skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the arugula and cook until wilted, less than a minute. Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper. 
  3. When the pizza crust is done baking in the oven layer some arugula over the crust, and top with tomato slices. Give another good pinch of salt and pepper to the pizza, and one more good drizzle of olive oil over the toppings, do not pour tons of olive oil over the pizza, just a nice drizzling of oil over the toppings on top of the crust, put your finger over the pouring hole to control the amount you drizzle over the pizza. 
  4. Bake the pizza and toppings for 15 minutes until the crust is golden. When removed from the oven, top the pizza with fresh or dried basil and shredded Parmesan cheese. 
  5. Serves 2 adults as a meal quite fillingly.

This is the refrigerated pizza crust dough I use for this recipe. You can use any crust or your own pizza crust recipe to make this meal.
My partially baked crust, only 8 minutes in the oven for the first bake, don't go over!
1 lb of freshly sliced tomatoes.
Fresh arugula.
The beginning process of cooking the arugula to wilt it.
Cooked and wilted down arugula, it really does just take a minute to do.
Cooked arugula on partially baked crust, then peppered and salted a bit.
1lb sliced tomatoes and some olive oil drizzled over them.
Pizza after being baked for 15 minutes. Looking good!
I then add the shredded Parmesan on top and it melts a bit onto the pizza from the heat of the tomatoes.
The 6oz bag of shredded Parmesan cheese I used, almost all of it.
I call this an appetizer! I was just getting started! Too good to only eat 2 slices for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment