About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Healthy Bean and Cheese Quesadilla (Easy)

Something I just threw together for lunch today.  I had all these ingredients in the house and figured why not.   I call this my healthy bean and cheese quesadilla.  It was very simple to make,  I used fat free refried beans, multi-grain flour tortilla, a light sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese and some olive oil cooking spray for the frying pan to warm it in.  I am not going to be hungry for hours now after eating this meal, it is full of protein and fiber.  I had some hot salsa in the house for dipping and some apple cider to help wash it all down.  The avocado was a nice touch to compliment my entire meal, also full of fiber and good fats.  An avocado has approximately 6 grams of fiber and 2 grams of protein per fruit.  This meal can be prepared ahead of time, like let's say the day before and you can bring it to work and warm it in the microwave for your lunch.

Serves 1

Ingredients:

  • 2 Wheat flour tortillas
  • refried beans (spread according to how much you like)
  • Sharp shredded cheddar cheese for sprinkling on top of beans
  • Salsa for dipping (optional)

Directions:

  1. Place a wheat tortilla on a plate, spread some refried beans over it almost to the edges, sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on top. Take another wheat tortilla, spread some refried beans on one side as well and then place it over the other tortilla already lined with beans and cheese. 
  2. Spray a frying pan with some nonstick cooking spray,  place your wheat tortilla in pan and warm until cheese melts, flip and brown both sides.
  3. Cut into wedges with scissors and serve with salsa for dipping, possibly an avocado on the side as well.

I like these refried beans because they are fat free and have no hydrogenated oils added as one of the ingredients, just spices and water.
You can use wheat or multi-grain. I had these in the house at the time and they will do just nicely. I love the grains in them. One tortilla has 5 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein! Just think how much more you are adding when you add the beans and cheese, not to forget but even an avocado! Very meaty but in a vegetarian kind of way.
Some shredded cheddar cheese I already had in the house. You really can use any kind, even shredded pepper jack.
Start off with a tortilla layered with some refried beans.
Next sprinkle some shredded cheese on top.
Spread a light coating of refried beans on another tortilla and then flip it over and place it over the other half.
Ready to go into the frying pan.
Almost ready from being warmed up.
Fiber and protein yumminess! Very filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment