About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings (Easy)

A very easy recipe to make; much easier than making homemade chicken noodle soup and just as tasty and quick.   I added an ingredient the recipe did not call for and it gave the soup that added boost in flavor; it is called Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base(picture down below) and I found it sold at Walmart by the soups.  I love using it in my homemade chicken noodle soup as well.   My family of 4 ate this entire pot gone. It says it serves 6, I don't know about that.  One note: do not add salt, this meal is salted enough with the bouillon base; if you do not add the bouillon base then add 1/2 teaspoon of salt for sure, it will need it.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Easy-Chicken-and-Dumplings

Ingredients

  • 3 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
  • 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
  • 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast (I boiled 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, then cut them into cubes)
  • 1-2/3 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
  • 2/3 cup fat-free milk

Directions

  • In a Dutch oven or a soup pot drizzle some olive oil, saute celery and carrots for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, poultry seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered. Add chicken.
  • For dumplings, combine biscuit mix and milk. Drop by tablespoonfuls into simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 6 servings.
3 stalks of celery and 4 small to medium sized carrots.
I used this entire box.
Seasonings and the bouillon base I used for extra flavoring.
The equivalent of 1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts boiled.
Cubed chicken breast ready to go in pot.
The biscuit mix I used.
I used two tablespoons as seen here, one to scoop up the mix and the other to help it off the spoon into the boiling pot of soup. It has to be boiling so they start to cook instantly once they hit the hot broth.
The entire mix of biscuits added in the boiling broth and now I will cover it for 15 minutes to simmer. Do not uncover during this process. Set the timer and walk away or clean up the kitchen while you wait.
A close up of my bowl for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. I added a little more celery and carrots. I couldn't find the making mix, so i used biscuit mix, it worked just fine. Everything came out good.

    Trey

    ReplyDelete