About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Healthier Bacon Chicken Alfredo (Easy)

I was searching for some new recipes to make for my family at Taste of Home's website and I found a category called Makeover's.  What it is is that they basically make over a recipe that was very fattening to be less fattening, they cut the calories.  I am all for that., who wouldn't be?  The recipe does not loose its flavor either from cutting fat calories.  When you make an Alfredo sauce cream is used for the white sauce, this recipe substitutes cream with 2% milk (I used 1%) and a bit of half and half.  It is thickened with some cornstarch.  To be honest I could not tell the difference at all with this let fattier recipe for Chicken Alfredo.  It is a keeper and will be made again for my family.  We all enjoyed eating it.  Serves 8.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Makeover-Bacon-Chicken-Alfredo



Ingredients

  • 1 package (16 ounces) whole wheat fettuccine ( I have to admit I am not a big fan and neither is my family of wheat pasta, I did not use wheat pasta but they do make white pastas now that are enriched with fiber and I like to cook with those instead)
  • 8 bacon strips, chopped ( I did not chop them, I cooked them in strips, then cut them with scissors into pieces, much easier)
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon butter (I did not even use butter, I used about a tbsp of the bacon grease instead to cook the chicken in the same frying pan I fried the bacon in, you can also use turkey bacon)
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3 cups 2% milk (I used 1% because that is what we drink in our house, it worked just fine)
  • 1 cup half-and-half cream
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided ( I would also recommend using Parmesan cheese as a substitute because it is not as expensive)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

     

    Directions

  • Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
  • Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook chicken and garlic in butter ( I used about 1 tbsp of the bacon grease to fry my chicken chunks in) over medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
  • Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into skillet. ( I whisked the milk and cornstarch the entire time it was cooking on the stove top) Add half & half and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the spinach, chicken, 3/4 cup cheese, Italian seasoning and half of the bacon; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
  • Drain fettuccine; add to chicken mixture. Cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon.
I shredded this chunk of cheese with my food processor, so much easier than doing it by hand.
Make sure you buy the frozen spinach, not the canned.  I let mine thaw out in the fridge and then I put it in a colander and squeeze out the water.
The Alfredo sauce, can you believe it is just milk, cornstarch and some half & half at this point?
Next step is add the cooked chicken, the spinach, the chopped bacon, some of the cheese, and the seasoning.
The sauce mixed with the noodles, topped with some chopped bacon and some shredded cheese. Makes a large pot of food when all prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment