About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Greek Spaghetti (Easy)

I didn't realize this meal was more like a casserole when I stumbled upon it at Taste of Home's Makeover recipe's site until I prepared it.  It was very easy to throw all the ingredients together then bake.  I found it lacking a bit in the flavor department, bland is the word I would use. I think adding some feta cheese on top instead of mozzarella and some kalamata olives sliced in half would do the trick for more flavor, after all it is called Greek Spaghetti but I found there was no Greek taste to be found in this dish.  It makes a lot! It is a great potluck dish. Yields 10 servings.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Makeover-Greek-Spaghetti


Makeover Greek Spaghetti Recip
Ingredients

  • 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces (I broke the noodles into thirds for the 2-inch pieces)
  • 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast (I first boiled 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts whole, then cut them into bite-sized cubes)
  • 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream (I used Greek yogurt instead, hey it's Greek spaghetti! LOL!)
  • 3 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
  • 1 jar of pitted kalamata olives, sliced in half (my suggestion for more flavor)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/3 cups fat-free milk
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I would skip the mozza and replace with 4oz. crumbled feta cheese)
  • 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Return spaghetti to saucepan (forget about that, unless you used a huge and I mean huge saucepan, I needed a very large mixing bowl to mix all the ingredients). Stir in the chicken, spinach, soup, mayonnaise, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), celery, onion, green pepper, pimientos, kalamata olives (if you choose to use them) and lemon-pepper. 

In a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bouillon. Pour over spaghetti mixture and mix well. 

Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray (dish will be full). Top with mozzarella cheese (or crumbled feta instead), bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.

My family does not really like wheat pasta so I use this brand instead that is enriched with fiber. I first broke up the entire box into 2-inch pieces in a bowl then dumped it into the boiling water.
Ready to go in the oven!
Looks nice after the 30 minutes of baking uncovered.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment