About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Friday, February 3, 2012

Sweet & Sour Pot Roast (Easy)

I got on a crock pot cooking kick these past couple of weeks and I tried many different recipes with my pot and I would have to say most of them bombed! My poor family who had to be the guinea pigs.  I liked two recipes out of the many with this being one of them.  It was very easy to prepare, walk away, and let the crock pot do the rest.  This recipe called for white potatoes and weren't most all potatoes white on the inside minus the sweet potato!  No, there really is such a thing as a white potato and I found them; they are actually white on the outside, not brown, red, or purple, yes I found purple potatoes!  To be honest after eating them, I still do not know what is so special about them but I bought them so I could follow the recipe.  They were good, but if you can't find them, don't sweat it.  This recipe's title is called sweet & sour pot roast, I found it was neither sweet or sour but tasted very tasty none the less and that is why I am entering it into my blog because it got the thumbs up from me for tasting delicious.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Sweet-and-Sour-Pot-Roast


Ingredients

  • 12 small white potatoes, peeled and halved
  • 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion (I used a white sweet onion)
  • 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

  • Place potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Trim fat from roast; cut in half. In a large skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
  • Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings; saute onion in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and salt. Pour over roast.
  • Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until meat is tender. Before serving, pour sauce into a skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until reduced and thickened. Serve with potatoes and beef. Yield: 6-8 servings.




White potatoes
12 white potatoes, peeled and cut in half and put first in the bottom of the crock pot.
Browning the chuck roast on both sides before placing in the cooker.
Sweet & sour sauce made and poured over the roast and potatoes, just cover and set on high for 4-6 hours.
After cooking for the 4-6 hours. It was steaming hot!

1 comment:

  1. I made this dinner and it was a hit in my family. Like you, I've been doing a lot more crock pot cooking because my family life is so darn busy and what easier way to cook a meal than to throw everything in a pot and walk away! This dinner is very easy, and very tasty. I used about 4 large potatoes (with red skins but peeled) but cut into smaller pieces and it all turned out very well. And it doesn't really take on a "sweet/sour" taste but it tastes very good nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete