About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Friday, February 3, 2012

Tex-Mex Beef Sandwiches (Easy)

This beef sandwich was awesome!  I even had plenty for leftovers and I froze them for a future meal or lunch.  When I took that first bite I could not help but exclaim "Yum!".  This chuck roast is rubbed with a mixture of unsweetened cocoa powder combined with a packet of burrito seasoning and that combination gives it such a great flavor.  No worries because it is a Tex-Mex recipe of it being hot and spicy.  It was neither.  The burrito seasoning packet was the majority of the spice and it was just right in flavor.  I do like spicy but I did not mess with this recipe at all.  I left it as is.  It was a very simple meal to prepare in the crock pot and will be made again many more times in my home.  I served this shredded beef on a honey wheat hoagie and that added to the taste experience.  Green rice on the side to make it a complete meal: http://tastytalkwithamy.blogspot.com/2011/07/green-rice-easy.html

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Tex-Mex-Beef-Sandwiches


Ingredients

  • 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
  • 1 envelope burrito seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
  • 1 large green pepper, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 8 hoagie buns, split

Directions

  • Cut roast in half. Combine burrito seasoning and cocoa; rub over meat. Place peppers and onion in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker; top with meat. Combine broth and ketchup; pour over meat.
  • Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
  • Skim fat. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. (I did not need to remove it from the slow cooker, I shredded it as soon as it was ready with two forks right there in the pot.) Using a slotted spoon, spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun.  Drizzling some of the juices it cooked in to soak your bread a bit adds a nice yumminess to the sandwich, kind of like a Chicago roast beef sandwich dripping with juices. Yield: 8 servings.
 


For the rub, so simple,yet so delicious.
The only veggies you need for this recipe.
Boneless beef chuck roast. I did not trim the fat off of this roast.
What a beautiful, colorful bed of fresh veggies!
All rubbed down in cocoa and burrito seasoning.
Slice in half and place in crock pot on top of the veggies.
One last step needed, the beef broth mixed with ketchup to go on top.
Last two ingredients to mix together and pour on top of the roast.
Beef broth mixed with ketchup now added, time to cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
Sorry that it is a bit blurry, I was trying to blow the steam away while taking the picture so I could get a good shot of the shredded meat.
"I'm ready for my close-up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment