About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Baked Coconut Shrimp w/Orange Marmalade Dipping Sauce (Moderately Challenging)

This is one of my top ten most favorite meals! I LOVE IT! The family loved it! Will be a keeper and will be made many times! The shrimp are baked, not fried, much healthier. I served this meal with a fresh fruit salad and that was plenty enough for us. I also tripled the recipe, we have leftovers.



Ingredients

1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (large shrimp is very crucial, I highly recommend jumbo if possible,  I used medium-sized the first time I made it, talk about tedious with all the dipping, never again, and I also tripled all my ingredients, including buying 3 lbs of shrimp)
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (just gives it enough spice, not make your nose run spicy hot either)
2 cups flaked sweetened coconut (b/c I tripled this recipe it required two bags of coconut, I also pulse my coconut in the food processor to make it finer so it is not so clumpy when they are dipped)
3 egg whites, beaten until foamy and frothy

Orange Marmalade Sauce Recipe:

  • 1 cup of orange marmalade
  • 2 tablespoons horseradish
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard

Mix these ingredients together for the sauce in a bowl, warm in the microwave, and serve for dipping sauce.

Directions

Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Rinse and dry shrimp with paper towels. Mix cornstarch, salt, and cayenne pepper in a shallow bowl; pour pulsed coconut flakes in a separate shallow bowl. Working with one shrimp at a time, dredge it in the cornstarch mixture, then dip it in the egg white, and roll it in the coconut, making sure to coat the shrimp well. Place on the prepared baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining shrimp.
Bake the shrimp until they are bright pink on the outside and the meat is no longer transparent in the center and the coconut is browned, 15 to 20 minutes, flipping the shrimp halfway through. (I baked them 15 minutes on each side to make sure completely cooked)
Baked Coconut Shrimp w/dipping sauce
I pulsed one full bag of coconut in my food processor, it really does make a difference.

The assembly line.
The shrimp all dipped and ready to go in the oven.
Baked Coconut Shrimp right out of the oven.

2 comments:

  1. Ok- so what is orange marmalade and where do you find it in the grocery store...adding this to my menu for the week---looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a jelly/jam, sold in that section of the grocery store. You can buy generic to save money and works just fine. Let me know how you loved this meal. It really is yummy!

    ReplyDelete