About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Colossal Caramel Apple Trifle (Easy)

This is a very easy to make recipe but the ingredients listed here for it are way too much. I will note on the recipe in bold my comments on what I suggest you do when you make it. I have yet to taste it, I made it for a Memorial Day picnic potluck. I will come back to this post and edit in how it was for the guests.  

 

I said I would come back and comment on this dessert. The guests told me they really enjoyed it and it was pretty much eaten completely gone. One thing I would do a bit different is I would add more apple pie spice to the pudding and maybe some to the yellow cake mix, perhaps even some cinnamon. 

  

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Colossal-Caramel-Apple-Trifle/Detail.aspx

 

Ingredients

  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix (bake as directed on box in 2-9 inch round pans, cut the tops off once cooled, need to be half the size of the cake so slice lengthwise to make thinner, discard the other half or feed a family member the leftovers)
  • 6 cups cold milk (use only 5 cups, will be too runny if you use 6 and you will have leftover pudding, do not feel you need to use it all, your trifle bowl will not be deep enough to hold it all)
  • 3 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
  • 1 (12 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted (I chopped them up first, then melted 2 tbsp. butter and tossed the pecans with the butter to coat them, laid them on a cookie sheet and baked them at 350 degrees for 7 minutes, very tasty when toasted)
  • 2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling (you will not use all this, but one can will not be enough unless you can find a can slightly larger than 21 oz and I suggest dicing up the apple slices in the pie filling mixture so they are bite-sized)
  • 2 (16 ounce) containers frozen whipped topping, thawed (you only need one container of whipped topping, 2 is way too much, again it comes to the room in your trifle bowl, as you can see in my picture, it is overflowing, first time made)(I learned my lesson and now I get to pass my knowledge onto you)

Directions

  1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. In a large bowl, whisk milk, pudding mixes and apple pie spice for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
  2. Cut one cake layer if necessary to fit evenly in an 8-qt. punch bowl. Poke holes in cake with a long wooden skewer; gradually pour a third of the caramel topping over cake. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans and spread with half of the pudding mixture. Spoon one can of pie filling over pudding; spread with one carton of whipped topping.
  3. Top with remaining cake and repeat layers. Drizzle with remaining caramel topping and sprinkle with remaining pecans. Refrigerate until serving. 
Looks very yummy and pretty when all put together.


No comments:

Post a Comment