About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Home Made Chicken Pot Pie (Easy)

I am not a fan of chicken pot pies when they come frozen from the store but this one prepared home made is so delicious. This is definitely a meal I will make again and again for my family. It was surprisingly easy too.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Pot-Pie-IX/Detail.aspx


Ingredients
  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (You will need a bit more than this amount if you plan to boil your veggies in broth as well, I did, and when they were done boiling I drained the broth into a measuring cup to equal the 1 3/4 cups amount for the sauce, I used it for double duty.)
  • 2/3 cup milk (I have a lactose intolerant child so I used Lactaid Milk in this recipe, no difference in taste whatsoever)
  • 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts (one is used to cover the top of the other crust once filled)
 I added more spices so it would not be so bland, I added a couple shakes of garlic powder and poultry seasoning, gave it just the right amount of flavor.

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.) (I read some of the comments on this recipe and I followed one of them, I cooked this at 375 degrees b/c one reviewer said it came out too dry at 425, cooking it at 375 worked perfectly and I cooked it for 40 minutes at that temp)
  2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water or broth to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.(I boiled my vegetables in chicken broth)
  3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed, (this is where I added the couple shakes of garlic powder and poultry seasoning). Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
  4. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust and then the veggies. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. 

I boiled the chicken breast whole and when cooled a bit to the touch I cut them up into cubes.


I then placed the boiled veggies on top of the cubed chicken.

Third step, pour the seasoned sauce just enough to cover the contents, do not overfill it.

I took the other crust and carefully removed it from the pie tin and carefully laid it over the pie and cut some X's in it for steam to release.
The completely baked pot pie. I also baked it on a pizza pan just in case any leaked out and it also made it easier to put in and pull out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment