About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Delicious Black Bean Burritos (Vegetarian & Easy)

This is a quick and easy meal to prepare when you are crunched for time and is very filling and healthy. It may be somewhat dry because of the cream cheese, to remedy that, drizzle a bit more olive oil into the mixture. Taste first to see if it is needed or you can add salsa on each individual burrito. I added sliced avocados to mine and that added more moistness to my burrito and made it even meatier. This is a vegetarian meal.

                                               Serves 4, one burrito each.
 

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Delicious-Black-Bean-Burritos/Detail.aspx

Ingredients

  • 4 (10 inch) flour tortillas (I use Mission Wraps, the Garden Spinach Herb flavor instead)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I prefer olive oil, healthier fat than vegetable)
  • 2 small onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic (I use minced garlic in the jar and about 1 heaping teaspoon)
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno peppers and seeded
  • 6 ounces cream cheese
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I recommend using one entire bunch of fresh cilantro)
  • 2 cups brown rice (cook as directed on package or cook in a rice cooker) (I love my rice cooker/vegetable steamer)
  • avocados-2-optional, sliced

Directions

  1. Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven heated to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.(I don't do this, I just microwave mine for a minute wrapped in a dish towel)
  2. Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Place onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapenos in skillet, cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Pour beans into skillet, cook 3 minutes stirring.
  3. Cut cream cheese into cubes and add to skillet with salt. Cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir cilantro into mixture. 
  4. Once cream cheese has melted into mixture add the 2 cups of cooked brown rice and remove from heat.
  5. Spoon mixture evenly down center of warmed tortilla and roll tortillas up. Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment