About Me

My photo
My blog is about how to be better organized with your meal planning, you can be one person or a family of 4 or more, planning is the key to knowing what you are going to eat every day and let’s face it, we all have to eat to live! So why not plan it out? It saves time and money! What comes along with meal planning? Ideas for meals! As time goes by I will add recipes I have made for my family that were liked, and anything you see here, was well-received.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Low-Fat Broccoli Pizza (Easy)

This is a healthy pizza.  The crust is made of 1 cup whole wheat flower, 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, some baking soda and a 12 oz bottle of beer.  I prefer to use a flavored beer, in this recipe I found and used a pomegranate raspberry beer and it adds a nice flavor to the dough.  When I used to live in Washington State I found a raspberry wheat beer and it was strong, you could smell it baking throughout the apartment, it smelled wonderful and tasted even more wonderful.  There is no oil added to this crust and you don't miss it either. I baked it on my pampered chef large pizza stone and it came out beautifully.

This recipe comes from the book 500 Fat-Free Recipes - A Complete Guide to Reducing the Fat in Your Diet by Sarah Schlesinger p. 137.  It is called Broccoli Pizza with Quick and Easy Crust

Yields 8 slices

Ingredients:

Dough:
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 12 ounces beer

Sauce:
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I used 2 tbsp dried)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
  • 3 tbsp low-sodium tomato paste
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
  • 1/2 tsp dried marjoram leaves
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • Pinch of black pepper
  • 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes (optional, I add those to my sauce, the recipe does not call for it at all)

Topping:
  • 1 1/2 cup nonfat grated mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup nonfat grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 3/4 cup broccoli florets, steamed (I steamed mine in the microwave for about 3 minutes on high)
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions

Directions:

  1. For the sauce, heat water in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add more liquid during this process if necessary.
  2. Add the parsley, green pepper, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, marjoram, sugar, and black pepper.
  3. Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Set aside.
  4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  5. For the dough, combine flours, baking soda, and beer in a large bowl.
  6. Spread dough in a 9x13 inch pan. (I chose to use a large round pizza stone)
  7. Spread sauce over the dough.
  8. Top the sauce with the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan Cheese. Sprinkle the mushrooms over the pizza. Top with the steamed broccoli and the green onions. 
  9. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust is crispy and golden. Slice.

The cookbook I give credit to for this recipe.
Pomegranate Raspberry beer
The pizza dough is a bit sticky so when you roll it out flour your rolling pin and lightly sprinkle some over the dough.
I lightly floured my dough and rolled it out on my baking stone.
Water used for sauteing  instead of oil
Onion and garlic sauteing in water
Pizza sauce
Pizza sauce on unbaked pizza dough
I steam cooked my fresh broccoli in the microwave for 3 minutes.
The cheeses added.
Veggies added
Fully baked, ready to eat.
What a yummy slice!

2 comments:

  1. what can I use instead of beer ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beer is required b/c it has yeast in it. If you are concerned about the alcohol in it, it bakes completely out of the crust. The reason beer is used in this recipe is that it requires no separate rising time for the dough. I just did a google search about non-alcoholic beer and it looks like it has yeast in it so I would say try a non-alcoholic brand if it is the alcohol you are concerned about. Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete